The History Museum began as the Northern Indiana Historical Society in 1867 which makes it the second oldest historical society in Indiana. For years the Northern Indiana Historical Society museum was located in the old 1855 St. Joseph County Courthouse in downtown South Bend. In 1988 we were given Copshaholm, the Oliver Mansion and built a new museum facility on the mansion’s property in 1994. We moved from the 1855 courthouse to our new facility in the West Washington Street Historic District in 1994.
In the 1990s our operating name was changed to the Northern Indiana Center for History (later shortened to Center for History). In December 2014 our operating business name was changed to The History Museum.
Since we started collecting our community’s history we have accumulated photographs, architectural drawings and blueprints, manuscripts, personal papers, ethnic/immigrant papers and documents, business/industrial papers and documents, advertising, locally published newspapers dating back to 1830, scrapbooks, military records, bound volumes, and audio, video and film footage. Our archives is expansive and we are also the national archives for the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League (AAGPBL).